AOPA is seeking to add an attorney with experience in FAA compliance and enforcement, aircraft transactions, and aviation tax matters to the association's in-house legal team to support the AOPA Legal Services Plan. The ideal candidate has a strong interest in aviation and experience with aircraft transactions and leases; hangar and ground leases; sales and use tax; and FAA, DOT, and IRS compliance and litigation.
The AOPA Legal Services Plan is a pre-paid legal services plan that provides consultation and representation benefits to participating AOPA members in the event of an aviation-related legal matter, such as an FAA enforcement action against an airman certificate, an aircraft accident, or the purchase or sale of an aircraft. The in-house legal team provides “legal triage” for these members, typically providing an initial consultation by telephone. If further representation is appropriate, then the member may retain an attorney from the Plan’s network of over 600-panel attorneys or use Plan benefits toward payment for any non-panel attorney.
- Provide legal services to AOPA Legal Services Plan (LSP) participants, including initial consultations (primarily via telephone), concerning aviation-related legal matters covered by the LSP.
- These aviation-related matters include but are not limited to: FAA actions to suspend or revoke FAA issued certificates; FAA civil penalties; aircraft accidents; aircraft transactions and leases; hangar and ground leases; sales and use tax; and FAA, DOT, and IRS compliance and litigation.
- Provide advice and guidance to AOPA staff and LSP panel attorneys in support of operation of the LSP, including but not limited to responding to inquiries from LSP panel attorneys concerning aviation law, preparing aviation-related legal articles and materials for publication in AOPA media, and preparing and conducting educational seminars.
- Conduct legal research, analyze legal issues, and provide legal advice in support of the LSP and AOPA’s General Counsel in matters such as the operation of a legal services plan, aviation-related state and federal laws, regulations, and policies, unmanned aircraft systems (UAS), and aviation-related litigation in state and federal courts.
- Represent AOPA and the LSP by occasionally traveling to AOPA regional Fly-Ins and other aviation or law-related events.