Performs a variety of operations to assemble and make major assembly structures such as fuselage panels and bulkheads, and structural subassemblies such as rudders, flaps, and stabilizers. Aligns parts on jigs using templates and fixtures. Performs such minor part-fitting operations as filing, sawing, burring, crimping, trimming, framing, riveting, drilling, and reaming. Measures parts with micrometers and calipers to verify dimensions. May modify incomplete and complete assemblies to incorporate changes to structure. May monitor and verify quality in accordance with statistical process or other control procedures.
Along with what is stated above, they should be very proficient and familiar with:
• Drilling close-tolerance holes through multiple layers and materials
• Using straight drills, angle drills, terry motors, quack motors (both rack and power feed)
• Installing solid rivets, both shooting and bucking
• Installing screws, mechanical locking fasteners, jobolts, and hiloks. Which is also entails a strong familiarity with the tools that install them, both power and hand.
• Locating parts in fixtures and/or jigs AND locating jigs, drill plates, locating tools, and/or fixture details on to parts for drilling and assembly