Ascent Aviation Services •
To perform functions assigned in the set up and operation of machine tools applying knowledge of machining methods.
Physical Demands: Requires sitting or standing for extended periods of time. Requires frequent walking, bending, stooping, climbing, and balancing. Requires occasional reaching above shoulder level, kneeling or squatting. Requires frequent lifting, carrying, pushing or pulling weight up to 50 unassisted. Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity. Requires corrected vision and hearing to normal range.
Equipment Operated: Precision machine tools including milling machines, lathes, CNC milling machines, boring tooling, basic hand tools, and surface grinder.
Work Location: Machine Shop.
Protective Equipment Required: Goggles, safety glasses, face shields, ear protection, aprons, gloves, respirators, breathing equipment.
Potential Hazards: Exposure to high intensity noise levels, extreme changes in temperature, airborne substances such as glass beads or metal shavings, materials identified on Safety Data Sheets, working around moving machinery.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Essential Job Functions:
Marginal Job Functions:
- Performs set up and operation of machine tools to machine metallic and nonmetallic work pieces according to specifications, tooling instructions, and standard charts, applying knowledge of machining methods.
- Reads blueprint or job orders for product specifications, such as dimensions and tolerances, and tooling instructions, such as fixtures, feed rates, cutting speeds, depth of cut, and determines sequence of operations.
- Performs research in technical library for correct parts.
- Positions and secures work piece in holding device, machine table, chuck, centers, or fixtures, using clamps and wrenches. Moves controls to position tool and work piece in relation to each other, and to set specified feeds, speeds, and depth of cut.
- Sets up fixture or feeding device, starts machine, and turns hand wheel to feed tool to work piece or vice versa and engages feed.
- Turns valve handle to direct flow of coolant or cutting oil against tool and work piece.
- Observes operation of machine and verifies conformance of machined work piece to specifications, using measuring instruments, such as fixed gauges, calipers, and micrometers.
- Operates bench grinder to sharpen tools.
- May set up and operate machines and equipment other than machine tools, such as welding machines and flame-cutting equipment.
- Ensures that proper documentation is made on training record for training received, and signed by Lead, Supervisor, or Manager.
- Performs maintenance duties away from the base on temporary duty.
- Performs maintenance work such as repair and maintenance of company equipment and shop housecleaning.
- Ensure that all work performed is done in a safe manner. Directs activities to protect employees from harm and maintain safe working conditions.
- Will participate in and support safety initiatives, safe work practices and SMS compliance.
- Will participate in safety activities including the following: immediately reporting hazards, unsafe work practices and accidents/injuries.
- Will follow all safety rules, FAA regulations, PPE compliance and equipment operation requirements.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Ability to organize and plan work adhering to deadlines; attention to detail and mathematical skills; ability to read, write, and understand the English language and to follow verbal and written instruction; ability to interpret and apply technical data relating to position; ability to safely operate applicable equipment; ability to work with or without supervision.
Education/Training: High School diploma or equivalent required. Training to qualify as a journeyman machinist required.
Experience: Three to five years experience as a journeyman machinist preferred.
Certificates/Licenses: Current valid Arizona driver’s license with clear driving record for past three years required.
Other: May be required to work at both Marana, AZ and Tucson, AZ locations as business needs dictate.
Duties not listed within the position description may be required of the employee at the discretion of the department management. Job functions may vary due to irregular working conditions or multiple shift positions.
Job Ident #:
(Job and company information not to be copied, shared, scraped, or otherwise disseminated/distributed without explicit consent of JSfirm, LLC)