Bigger challenges. Bolder ideas. Global impact. At Viasat, we’re on a mission to deliver connections with the capacity to change the world. We’re the company behind the world’s fastest satellite internet service, with technology that’s helping to bridge the digital divide and improve life for our customers around the globe. By providing powerful new ways for people to connect with one another, gain greater access to education, entertainment, medical research, commerce, and much more, our team is empowering millions of customers worldwide.
We’re looking for passionate, innovative professionals to join our team and connect the world to more. You’ll work in a collaborative and inclusive environment that values diverse perspectives and continuous learning, and provides industry-leading benefits with unmatched opportunities for career growth. Our team is fearless in pursuit of new ideas and uncompromising in our quest to become the world’s first truly global Internet Service Provider. Interested in joining our mission? Take a look at career opportunities at Viasat today.
The Commercial Mobility Maintenance Controller, is a key member of Viasat's Commercial Airline Support team, which helps deliver and maintain Viasat's best-in-class Viasat In-Flight Connectivity (IFC) and In-Flight Entertainment (IFE) services to our Commercial Airline customers. The Maintenance Controller plays a critical part in the service launch of new customers, supporting system activations and over-the air system checks for new installations and ongoing maintenance of the Viasat onboard IFEC solutions across all airline partners fleet of aircraft. The Maintenance Controller ensures that all work is carried out in accordance with Viasat procedures and airline manuals, following FAA and local regulations. Additional key responsibilities include providing support to on-site and airline maintenance representatives during the installation, activation and maintenance of Viasat IFEC equipment, including software loads and updates. This role works in collaboration with Viasat's airline partners to support and close the daily maintenance issues. Verbal and written interaction with airlines is frequent and must be delivered professionally. The Maintenance Controller interfaces with internal and external stakeholders and must be able to communicate effectively with diverse audiences including engineering teams, program management, customers, and third party partners & suppliers. This position requires contributing to shared knowledge, documentation, training of peers and other stakeholders, and may require travel to other Viasat offices, customer locations, and airline maintenance locations up to 10%. The ideal candidate will have a background in commercial aircraft systems, specifically electrical and avionics equipment troubleshooting and testing. The critical nature of the work requires good judgment, initiative and specialized technical expertise to understand problems and develop recommended solutions. Experience with hardware and software elements involved in IP networking and satellite communications is preferred. Familiarity with UNIX/LINUX configuration, and ability to capture and interpret network traces is a plus.
- Supports and provides technical guidance for personnel performing scheduled and unscheduled maintenance on the IFC system.
- Responsible for continuous monitoring of the maintenance status of aircraft IFE/IFC systems in line operations by close communication with Line Maintenance personnel, Maintenance Vendors, Airline Operations, Aircraft Engineering and other stakeholders to ensure all systems are operational.
- Manages system out of service activities which includes planning for spares, tooling, equipment, skill and adequate manpower to ensure systems are restored expeditiously.
- Ensure complete and accurate documentation and records of all maintenance work performed on customer aircraft.
- Communicate with Airline Operations Managers, Quality Assurance, Materials management and contract maintenance as required to support the repair and maintenance process.
- Track, maintain and ensure all open anomalies across the installed fleet are actively being worked.
- Participate with technical teams to diagnose, troubleshoot and repair any discrepancies related to the aircraft in accordance with approved technical data.
- Assist in the development of a maintenance and preventative maintenance program.
- Assist in analyzing system reliability and suggest a course of action based on those findings.
- Provide remote assistance to support diagnostic checks on Viasat IFEC equipment installed on customer aircraft.
- Coordinate new software roll out, testing and implementation to minimize impact to reliability.
- Reviews aircraft historical data and issues action plans as required.
- Supports the daily operational call reporting on the status and plan for the Viasat installed fleet
- Provide a timely response and resolution to any service inquiry related to installation & maintenance.
- Maintains safe, secure, and healthy work environment by following standards and procedures.
- Perform other tasks as assigned by the Manager, Commercial Mobility Maintenance Control (CMMC).