Mechanical Engineer, Senior
Lockheed Martin •
Description:The coolest jobs on this planet… or any other… are with Lockheed Martin Space! At the dawn of a new space age, Lockheed Martin is a pioneer, partner, innovator and builder. Our amazing men and women are on a mission to make a difference in the world and every day we use our unique skills and experiences to create, design and build solutions to some of the worlds’ hardest engineering problems. Do you want to be part of a culture where employees envision the impossible, perform with excellence and build incredible products? We are creating a better today and tomorrow by seamlessly aligning diversity and inclusion efforts with Lockheed Martin’s values and business strategy. We offer employee resource groups such as African American Council for Excellence (AACE), The Women’s Impact Network (WIN), Hispanic Organization for Leadership & Awareness (HOLA), Military/Veterans Network, PRIDE LGBT Professional Network, and more. We are also committed to enabling transitioning veterans and their families to connect with their communities and find new purpose as they reintegrate into civilian life. By clicking on the links, you can find out more on how we proudly support Global Diversity and Hiring Our Heroes.
The Payload Launch Site Support Services (PLSSS) program provides launch processing support for the Office of Space Launch (OSL). The program’s two primary operating locations are Vandenberg AFB, CA and Cape Canaveral AFS, FL. Key elements of the PLSSS program include satellite launch processing, satellite transport operations, satellite propellant loading operations, operation and maintenance of satellite processing facilities, clean room operations, and safety and environmental services.
Based in Vandenberg Air Force Base, CA, you will be responsible for the following:
• You will perform facilities mechanical engineering tasks in support of heating, ventilation, air conditioning, and refrigeration (HVAC-R) systems, HVAC controls, chilled and hot water distribution systems, plumbing and fluid systems (water, natural gas, drainage), and fire suppression systems. Work will occur in payload processing and launch support facilities. This work will include operations and maintenance technical support, troubleshooting, and projects (such as upgrades, modifications, and renovations).
• Applicant may also be required to support engineering efforts for Mechanical Ground Support Equipment (MGSE), Aerospace Ground Equipment (AGE), and flight hardware.
• Occasional odd shifts, travel, and overtime may be required.
Benefits of Employment:
Lockheed Martin Space offers a total compensation package from competitive wages, on-site medical care and healthy living incentives! Here are some of the benefits you can enjoy:
• Paid time off
• Work/life balance
• Career development
• Mentorship opportunities
• Rewards & recognition
Click here to learn more about Lockheed Martin’s competitive edge.
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
• Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college Mechanical Engineer or a related discipline, or equivalent experience/combined education.
• Working knowledge of the operation of pumps, motors, chillers, boilers, fans, compressors, and controls.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
• Basic drafting or Computer-Aided Drawing (CAD) experience.
• Technical writing experience.
• Ability to create Statements of Work (SOW) and Project Descriptions (PD).
• Ability to read and interpret engineering drawings.
• Ability to create reports, briefings, and presentations with the ability to confidently present project deliverables to internal and external customer employees, management, and executives.
• Must be a US citizen, will be subject to a government security investigation, and must meet eligibility requirements for an elevated clearance for access to classified information.
• Master’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering with at least 3 years of experience.
• Desire to perform engineering work in the field as well as the office.
• Knowledge of basic facilities code such as Unified Facilities Criteria (UFC), National Fire Protection Agency (NFPA), Occupational Safety and Health Agency (OSHA), and Building code (Electrical, Plumbing).
• Experience with Reliability-Centered Maintenance (RCM) concepts, analysis, and implementation.
• Experience with predictive maintenance technology such as vibration analysis, infrared thermography, ultrasound, and/or motor circuit analysis.
• Experience in working safely with low voltage systems up to and including 480VAC.
• Experience using hand drafting, AutoCAD, and/or Creo to create facilities and mechanical drawings and drawing redlines.
• Experience writing detailed plans and procedures (operating, maintenance, test).
• Experience using project management skills, including planning/estimating, risk management, and communications management.
• Experience using a Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS) such as Maximo or SAP.
• Experience performing or supervising verification and validation tasks for acceptance testing in support of major facilities projects.
• Ability to effectively manage engineering change in support of Configuration Management.
• Ability to perform basic engineering analysis hand calculations for stress, flow, and heat transfer.
• Experience working with overhead cranes and power generation equipment (such as diesel generators).
• Experience working with hydraulic and pneumatic equipment.
• Basic knowledge of Finite Element Analysis (FEA).
• Experience collaborating with union and non-union personnel.
• Ability to prioritize, multi-task, and organize workload.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
Job Ident #:
(Job and company information not to be copied, shared, scraped, or otherwise disseminated/distributed without explicit consent of JSfirm, LLC)