Mechanical Test Engineer (Materials) / Orlando, FL
Lockheed Martin •
Description:Lockheed Martins Missiles and Fire Control business area is experiencing substantial growth at our campus in sunny Orlando, FL. This position is a hands-on Mechanical Test engineer located within the Mechanical Testing Lab.
The overall primary job responsibility is the mechanical evaluation of aerospace-grade materials, prototype parts and assemblies, and production parts and assemblies in support of internal customers for research and development projects and contracted programs. Experience with Universal Testing Machine Load Frames for the purpose of standard coupon level tests such as tension, compression, and shear is required.
Requested tasks are verified and evaluated with the test requester and scheduled in an environment where there are often competing and conflicting needs to be resolved. When necessary to conduct the request, new testing methods are evaluated and standard processes developed. The test results are reported, reviewed as required with the supervisor or manager, and then communicated to the customer.
As part of the task the ability to coordinate and team with other groups will be required. The position reports to the Test and Special Processes Lab Group Manager, under the Mechanical Engineering Labs Senior Manager, operating as a key section of the Mechanical Engineering Directorate within Engineering and Technology for LM Missiles and Fire Control. Must be a US Citizen. Relocation: Relocation assistance is possible for this exciting position.
•Must be a U.S. Citizen and have the ability to obtain a DoD Secret Clearance.
• Minimum of a Bachelors Degree in Engineering or related Sciences and 2 years’ experience or Masters Degree in related discipline, with demonstrated interest and experience in hands-on testing and evaluation of hardware.
•Demonstrated proficiency with the calibration and safe operation of universal mechanical testing equipment, and proficiency with analysis of mechanical test data.
• Working knowledge of ASTM specifications for mechanical testing of materials including tensile, shear, torsion, and compression testing.
• Capable of developing and documenting new standard laboratory processes.
• Capable of scheduling, de-conflicting, coordinating and executing multiple technical activities concurrently.
• Very proficient in computing within a Windows-based MS Office-suite centered environment for communication, scheduling, data processing, basic data transfer, and project documentation.
• Demonstrated sound writing and verbal communication skills.
• BS degree in Materials Science and Engineering or Mechanical Engineering with 5 years’ experience, or MS with 2 years in above degrees, with emphasis on mechanical testing of materials.
• Experience with Instron universal testing equipment and Bluehill 3 software package.
• Excellent detail-oriented analysis and problem-solving skills
• Familiarity with ASTM specifications related to mechanical testing of materials.
• Able to correctly interpret and apply GD&T (Geometric dimensioning and tolerancing) standards.
• Current DoD Secret clearance.
Job Ident #:
(Job and company information not to be copied, shared, scraped, or otherwise disseminated/distributed without explicit consent of JSfirm, LLC)