Provides leadership of the purchasing function that results in lowering material costs, and improves the profit of the company. Provides direction and focus of the Buyer staff in achieving the goals and objectives of the Supply Chain organization.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Establishes procurement plans and makes decisions necessary to purchase products or services in congruence with organizational objectives and sourcing strategies.
- Develops goals and objectives of the purchasing department aligned with organizational goals.
- Prepares and administers the purchasing/supply management budget.
- Reviews purchase requisitions in accordance with organizational requirements and/or budgetary constraints.
- Prepares and solicits competitive bids, quotations and proposals with pertinent specifications, terms and conditions.
- Prepares for and develops strategies and tactics for negotiations. Conducts negotiations with potential and current suppliers to obtain maximum value.
- Reviews and revises purchasing practices to ensure their conformance with established laws, policies and ethical principles.
- Recommends and implements changes to the organization’s purchasing, supply management and material usage policies as needed.
- Fosters the Company’s core values and culture throughout the work environment.
- Screens, interviews and makes recommendations for hiring potential associates. Coaches and provides leadership, direction, motivation and supervision of direct reports. Appraises performance, provides performance feedback, takes corrective actions and oversees training and development of staff.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability necessary to perform this job.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE.
Bachelors degree (B.A./B.S.) or equivalent in Aviation, Business, Purchasing, Materials Management or related field. Requires 5 years of experience in purchasing, supply chain management or related area. Requires previous supervisory experience.
PREFERRED EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Master’s degree (M.A./M.S.) or equivalent in Business Administration and 8 years of experience. Prefer Certified Purchasing Manager or Senior Professional in Supply Management Certification.
Able to read, analyze, and interpret common technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Able to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Able to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
REASONING/PROBLEM SOLVING ABILITY
Able to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Able to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
Makes decisions daily on use of resources, performance and budgets. Decisions could require additional expenditure of resources if not sound decisions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Able to move about the work environment.
Frequently required to stand, walk, sit, talk and hear.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an associate encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
Typically not exposed to extreme environmental conditions.
Able to travel up to 10 of the time, including overnight travel.