Serves as the Safety and Occupational Health Specialist for the Contractors onsite personnel within assigned Battalion. Responsible for a wide variety of high risk operations, facilities, and environmental conditions associated with Aviation Training, Maintenance, and Flight activities. Promotes and advocates the overall safety program of the Division Manager in all aspects of flight and ground operations. Mentors MNG counterpart in developing and sustaining a functional Aviation and Ground Safety program IAW U.S. Army and MNG-AVN Publications. Conducts regular safety training for employees and MNG soldiers. Conducts On the Job Training and mentorship for MNG officers to assist them in management of their Aviation Safety Program. Provides oversight and conducts required inspections of associated Maintenance, Flight Operations, Training Operations, and Support Operations to insure a safe operating environment for employees and the customer.
1. Responsible for the coordination of aviation safety activities, policies and procedures, and incident reporting with the appropriate VA Management chain to ensure a safe and productive work environment within assigned Battalion.
2. Responsible for supporting the safe operation of flight training, employment, maintenance, and flight procedures of MNG rotary wing aircraft.
3. Plans and organizes the implementation of a Battalion level Safety Management System in accordance with MNG or U.S. Army service guidance, while mentoring MNG counterpart in the same.
4. Assists the Airfield Safety Manager and Brigade Safety Manager in the accomplishment of the assigned functions of the program as required.
5. Assists safety specialists in resolving the complex and difficult problems where guidelines are general or lacking.
6. In cooperation with the MNG counterpart ASO, assist in the development of the Pre Accident Plan and conduct quarterly tests of the plan involving employees and tenant support activities to the maximum extent.
7. In cooperation with the Brigade Safety Manager, improve upon the Brigade Safety SOP and MNG regulations as guidance for all employees and MNG Soldiers.
8. Plans and schedules periodic surveys of activity safety programs and facilities.
9. Recommends to management the application of specific techniques, methods and procedures to eliminate or control unsafe acts or conditions identified in surveys, inspections or through mishap information sources.
10. Investigates and analyzes accidents and hazardous conditions to determine origin, causes and contributing elements in coordination with VA leadership. Provides follow-up guidance to the Aviation Operations Director, VA General Manager and other appropriate personnel as required.
11. Mentor and train MNG counterparts on the full spectrum of a Safety Management System in a military rotary wing environment.
12. Perform other tasks as assigned.
B. Independence: Reports to the Brigade Aviation Safety Manager. Works within the rules and regulations of MNG flight operations and safety guidelines. Authority to select and implement goals and objectives within the execution of duties and responsibilities.
C. Supervisory Responsibilities: None.