Associate General Counsel - Defense
Textron Aviation •
The Attorney will function as a member of the Textron Aviation legal department, located in Wichita, Kansas, and will advise Textron Aviation and Textron Aviation Defense (TA Defense) business units on a broad range of issues pertaining to the law of government and commercial contracts. The successful candidate should have experience with government contracts, foreign military sales and complex commercial transactions.
This position reports directly to the TA Defense General Counsel.
- To build positive, trusted, and influential relationships with management, business teams, and peers across Textron Aviation and TA Defense.
- Provide legal advice and counsel related to issues pertaining to the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR), Defense Federal Acquisition Regulations Supplements (DFARS), Uniform Commercial Code, and related laws affecting government contracting.
- Provide advice and counsel related to first tier supplier relationships, including terms and conditions for subcontracts, teaming agreements, joint ventures and other business relationships.
- Support complex legal transactions involving Textron Aviation’s and TA Defense’s businesses in the U.S. and abroad.
- Support TA Defense’s Supply Chain Management organization in connection with requests for equitable adjustments, claims and contract negotiations.
- Build and maintain trusted relationships with key stakeholders.
- May act as primary contact with external parties such as regulators and outside counsel.
- Review other contracting requirements with necessary stakeholders, including finance, risk management, engineering, and other functional groups.
- Confer with legal department subject matter experts on matters such as litigation and compliance.
- Develop and deliver training on various preventive and substantive legal matters for leadership and the business.
- Prepare synopses and informational documents for both in-house and outside party use.
- Participate in and support other legal matters and activities, as required.
- Juris Doctorate degree from an accredited law school and eligible for admission to the Kansas bar.
- A minimum of 7 years of experience with government and commercial contracts in a law firm and/or in-house setting. Equivalent experience as federal government contracts counsel will be considered.
- Experience in the aviation industry or federal government procurement counsel is preferred.
- An active security clearance is desirable.
- Knowledge of and experience with FAR, DFARS and other government laws and regulations.
- Experience with direct contracts sales, Foreign Military Sales and complex commercial transactions.
- Admission to a state bar.
- Must be a self-starter.
- Must be flexible in order to respond quickly and positively to shifting demands and opportunities.
- Must be team-oriented and able to share information, goals, opportunities, successes and failures with the appropriate parties.
- Must have the ability to plan, organize and carry out multiple related activities.
- Must have the ability to work in a multi-office environment.
- Must pay attention to details and have the ability to follow up and follow through.
- Must inspire trust and confidence throughout the organization.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills
- Expected travel 10% of time
(Job and company information not to be copied, shared, scraped, or otherwise disseminated/distributed without explicit consent of JSfirm, LLC)