Principal Applied Scientist, Prime Air
Amazon Prime Air •
Here at Amazon, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of diversity and inclusion of our teams within the organization.
We’re working on the future. If you are seeking an iterative fast-paced environment where you can drive innovation, apply state-of-the-art technologies to solve extreme-scale real world delivery challenges, and provide visible benefit to end-users, this is your opportunity.
Come work on the Amazon Prime Air team!
Were looking for an outstanding Principal Applied Scientist with a focus on statistical machine learning and applied physics who will be deploying applications of machine learning in the aerospace industry. They will be encouraged to think creatively, innovate and find solutions to real-world problems in building aviation systems.
The ideal candidate will be able to identify new customer problems, distill requirements, and then deliver solutions that either leverage existing academic and industrial research or utilize unconventional thinking. In addition to coming up with novel solutions and prototypes, deploying these systems in production at scale is essential.
This role will contribute to a portfolio of patents, prototypes, and products for aviation systems. The ideal candidate is comfortable with a degree of risk taking and ambiguity that is higher than most consumer machine learning initiatives. If you enjoy the process of solving real-world problems that, quite frankly, haven’t been solved at scale anywhere before, Prime Air could be the place for you. Along the way, we guarantee you’ll get opportunities to be a fearless disruptor, prolific innovator, and a reputed problem solver—someone who truly enables machine learning to impact the lives of Amazon customers worldwide.
Export Control License
This position may require a deemed export control license for compliance with applicable laws and regulations. Placement is contingent on Amazon’s ability to apply for and obtain an export control license on your behalf.
· PhD in Computer Science (Machine Learning/NLP/Computer Vision), Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering, Statistics, Applied Physics or Math
· Three or more years of machine learning research experience (not including graduate or post-graduate work)
· Three or more years of applying machine learning algorithms/models to solving real-world problems in the industry
· Proficiency in C/C++, Java, or Python
· Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
· Proven record of delivering systems in production
· Excellent interpersonal skills and a can-do never-give-up attitude
· Experience in communicating with business partners and product management to collect requirements and describe product features and technical designs
· Ability to work independently and as part of a diverse team
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
(Job and company information not to be copied, shared, scraped, or otherwise disseminated/distributed without explicit consent of JSfirm, LLC)