Virginia State Police •
The Virginia Department of State Police is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Aircraft Pilot located in Chesterfield, Virginia. This is a Non-Exempt position; therefore, this position is subject to the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Provides safe efficient air transportation for the Governor; and provides safe and efficient air transportation during medevac operations and other required missions of the Department.
- Prepares required reports.
- Performs aviation base duties.
- Maintains operational skills through training and performs other duties as assigned.
A THOROUGH BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION WILL BE COMPLETED ON EACH APPLICANT
- Working knowledge of the principles, theories, and practices of aviation safety, cockpit resource management, and risk management; Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) rules and regulations; operation and general maintenance of aircraft; and atmospheric and weather relative to its effect on managing flight safety.
- Skill in the operation of turbine helicopters; and in using computers with Microsoft Office applications.
- Demonstrated ability to determine route and flight plans; to perform pre- and post-flight aircraft inspections; to analyze weather and aircraft conditions; to ensure performance of routine maintenance of aircraft and the completion of maintenance and inspection logs by certified mechanics; to complete necessary agency and Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) records, forms, and reports; to work independently and as a member of a team; to communicate orally and in writing clearly, concisely, completely and understandably; and to work on-call as required.
- Graduation from high school or equivalent.
- FAA Commercial helicopter certification with instrument rating; FAA second class medical certificate; minimum of 500 hours of helicopter flight time required, of which 200 hours in a turbine helicopter is also required; and minimum of 50 hours of night pilot in command time in helicopters is required.
- Night vision goggle certification is desired.
- FAA Commercial airplane certification with instrument rating is desired.
- Considerable commercial and instrument flight experience required.
- A resume is required to be submitted at the time of interview that specifically details previous flight experience.
- Pilot logbook is required to be presented at the interview for review by panel members.
- Prior helicopter EMS and/or military piloting experience are preferred.
- An in depth review of flight experience and a flight test in a Department Helicopter required.
- Successful applicant may be required to execute up to a 60 month tenure agreement should additional flight training and/or factory schools need to be completed.
- An equivalent combination of aviation training and experience required.
- Must be willing to live within 25 statute miles, straight line distance to the Chesterfield Base.
Elements of the selection process for this position will also include the screening of applications; interviewing of qualified candidates; and salary negotiations. The pre-employment process can take approximately up to three (3) months to complete. The anticipated duration of this process is determined by the successful completion of the above items.
Applicants must live in states east of the Mississippi River. Military applicants must live in or home of record must be in one of the states east of the Mississippi River.
Applicants who possess an Interagency Placement Screening Form (Yellow Form) or a Preferential Hiring Form (Blue Form) as issued under Policy 1.30 Layoff (Commonwealth of Virginia Employees Only), must attach these forms with their state application.
Applications, cover letters and/or resumes will only be accepted on-line through the Recruitment Management System at https://virginiajobs.peopleadmin.com. This position is open until filled. Please limit resumes, cover letters, reference letters and all other attachments to only two (2) pages. Any attachments received in excess of two (2) pages will not be considered. For questions, please contact the Employment Unit of the Human Resources Division.
REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION UPON REQUEST
AMERICORPS, PEACE CORPS, AND OTHER NATIONAL SERVICE ALUMNI ARE ENCOURAGED
(Job and company information not to be copied, shared, scraped, or otherwise disseminated/distributed without explicit consent of JSfirm, LLC)