1) Completion of 3,000 hours of pilot-in-command flying time as a licensed commercial or military helicopter pilot, of which includes the following:
a) 1,500 flight hours as pilot-in-command in a turbine class helicopter (with minimum of one hundred (100) flight hours as a pilot-in-command in a turbine helicopter in the last twelve (12) months); and
b) A minimum of one hundred (100) flight hours as pilot-in-command displaying vertical reference with emphasis in pole settings and Human External Cargo (HEC); and
c) A minimum of five hundred (500) flight hours as pilot-in-command flown in elevations above 5,000 feet Mean Sea Level (MSL);
d) Three (3) years of flight experience as pilot-in-command in support of the utility industry; or
e) Three (3) years of low-level flight activities (survey, photo, seismic, fire-fighting) in single-engine turbine helicopters in mountainous terrain.
2) A current Federal Aviation Administration Commercial or Airline Transport pilot certificate with rotorcraft category and helicopter class rating, and instrument rating; and
3) A current Federal Aviation Administration Class I or Class II medical certificate.
1) Each applicant MUST specify the number of hours spent in all of the areas listed in Requirement #1 in the WORK EXPERIENCE section of the application. In addition to the regular City application, each applicant is required to submit the Helicopter Pilot Qualifications Questionnaire at the time of filing. The Helicopter Pilot Qualifications Questionnaire is located within the Supplemental Questions section of the City Application. Applicants who fail to submit both the Application form with the complete WORK EXPERIENCE and the Qualifications Questionnaire will not be considered and their application will not be processed.
2) Copies of the last two pages of the applicant’s log book and current commercial pilot and medical certificates must be submitted with their application by attaching it to their on-line application at the time of filing or will have seven (7) calendar days from the on-line submission date to e-mail their documents to email@example.com. The subject line of your e-mail must include the exam title, your name, and indicate it is your log book and/or certificates. In the body of your e-mail, you must also include your first and last name, last four digits of your Social Security Number, and contact phone number. Candidates who fail to submit all of these documents within the time required will not be considered further in this examination and their applications will not be processed.
3) Applicants with Flight Instructor ratings, Airbus H125, H135, Bell 407, 429, and Night Vision Goggle experience, or any additional aviation ratings are strongly desired.
4) A valid California driver’s license is required within 30 days of appointment. Applicants will be disqualified and not eligible for hire if their record within the last 36 months reflects three or more moving violations and/or at-fault accidents, or a conviction of a major moving violation (such as DUI).
5) A valid California commercial driver’s license with tanker and hazardous materials endorsement will be required and maintained prior to the completion of probation.
6) Log book records must be provided for review prior to appointment.