Drone Operator, Prime Air
Amazon Prime Air •
Here at Amazon, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of diversity and inclusion of our teams within the organization.
We’re working on the future. If you are seeking an iterative fast-paced environment where you can drive innovation, apply state-of-the-art technologies to solve extreme-scale real-world challenges, and provide visible benefit to end-users, this is your opportunity.
Come work on the Amazon Prime Air Team!
Amazon Prime Air is seeking a Drone Operator with sound judgment and strict flight discipline. Success will require attention to detail, a safety-oriented attitude, flexibility, and enthusiasm for drone technology. The ideal candidate is someone who enjoys working in a fast-paced environment and can deliver results under pressure.
We are looking for a candidate who has aviation experience as well as familiarity with the principles of Developmental Flight Test. Experience with a Part 107 certification is beneficial. This candidate will be expected to conduct flight test operations as a crew member and advise decision-makers as described in CFR Part 91, 107, & 135. This individual will also conduct flight readiness activities and operational planning as required. Aviation Safety experience is highly preferred.
Export Control License: This position may require a deemed export control license for compliance with applicable laws and regulations. Placement is contingent on Amazon’s ability to apply for and obtain an export control license on your behalf.
Key job responsibilities
Drone Operators support Developmental Test and Evaluation (DT&E) of drone aircraft and Ground Support Equipment (GSE), continually pursue end-to-end process improvement, and are critical to the program’s test efforts in pursuit of 30-minute customer delivery operations with autonomously safe air vehicles. These roles include tasks that require a thorough understanding and adherence to Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) regulations during the daily execution of flight test operations. Drone Operators perform the last physical aspects of test vehicle preparation and final inspections before operations in the public sphere and monitor vehicles (via visual, audio, and electronic recording means) to help verify nominal flight characteristics and to identify developing off-nominal conditions. Accordingly, Drone Operators are trained to detect hazards and manage associated risks, as well as respond appropriately to potential emergency situations. They approach operations in accordance with their training, Prime Air policy / Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), and local/state/federal law. Baseline training to accomplish these flight-related tasks includes developing knowledge of industry standards (e.g., Federal Aviation Regulations Part 91, 107 and 135), Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) safety procedures (e.g., first aid and basic firefighting), Federal Communications Commission (FCC) radio communication standards, and Hazardous Materials (HAZMAT) control regulations.
About the team
The Flight Test team is an intimate and diverse group of aviation professionals that is setting the industry standard of safety and efficiency within the context of drone technology DT&E. Aside from Safety, which is paramount, Flight Test fully embraces the Amazon mantra of "Work Hard, Have Fun, Make History" as the foundation of its success.
· Must be at least 18 years old
· Have obtained a high school diploma or equivalent
· Able to work 40 hours/week and overtime, as required
· Experience with remote-control aircraft/multi-rotor products
· Valid driver’s license and able to meet Amazon's driver eligibility criteria
· Experience with business communications and reporting
· Comfortable operating in outdoor environments
· Able to lift equipment and carry out physical activity with or without reasonable accommodation
· Completed Class 2 FAA Medical Examination
· Willingness to travel domestically up to 50% of the time
This position may be subject to Department of Transportation (DOT) drug and alcohol testing if conducting safety sensitive functions as defined by the FAA. Federal law also requires Amazon to determine an applicant's DOT drug and/or alcohol testing history prior to hiring him/her into a position that would require them to conduct safety sensitive functions as defined by the FAA.
· Experience with FAA rules and regulations
· Experience with the commercial drone industry
· 14 CFR Part 61 current Private Pilot license
· 14 CFR Part 107 Remote Pilot Certificate
· Experience with flight telemetry and aviation weather
· Experience with Python commands
· Experience with Safety Management Systems (SMS)
· Completed an Undergraduate degree in the aviation field or equivalent work experience
· Excellent written and verbal communications and reporting skills
· Ability to work independently
· Demonstrated decision-making skills and judgement
· Demonstrated problem solving and analytical skills
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
(Job and company information not to be copied, shared, scraped, or otherwise disseminated/distributed without explicit consent of JSfirm, LLC)