Flight Ops Lead
Do you want to change the world? Zipline uses drones to deliver critical and lifesaving medicine to thousands of hospitals serving millions of people in multiple countries. Our mission is to provide every human on Earth with instant access to vital medical supplies. Join Zipline and help us make this a reality for billions of people.
ABOUT YOU AND THE ROLE
Are you excited to lead one of the first teams to conduct commercial drone deliveries in the United States? Does developing a culture of operational excellence in a fast-paced, highly regulated environment sound like the right fit for you?
The Flight Operations team at Zipline is growing fast, and we’re looking for leaders who exemplify a safety-first, high accountability mindset. Success in this role will require the empowerment of each person on your team to learn and adapt, apply best practices, and improve the performance of the overall operation of which they are a part. Positivity and enthusiasm go a long ways here, and you’ll be right at home if you’re an effective communicator who likes to collaborate and maintain an industry leading safety and compliance bar.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
As the Flight Operations Lead, you’ll report directly to the Chief Pilot and ensure:
- All flight operations at your facility are conducted safely and in compliance with documented policies, procedures, and OpsSpecs
- Prompt coordination of weekly flight operations, including crew scheduling and compliance with minimum duty and rest requirements
- Flight Operations incident response process is carried out appropriately following an emergency
- All local recordkeeping requirements are maintained in accordance with company manuals and FAA regulations
- Communication to the Nest is routed through you, acting as the point of contact for external stakeholders as required, including FAA inspectors
- Facilitation of the rollout for major changes in operations, ensuring controllers are trained on updates as required
- Removal of a flight crew member from active operations if they do not meet the minimum requirements to safely perform their duties
- Participation in monthly safety meetings, emergency drills, and currency training
- Compliance with HazMat policies and procedures.
- Prior to receiving training to become a certified Flight Ops Lead, you will attend our FAA-approved controller training program (3-4 weeks in NC) and receive a controller (RPIC) certification (You’ll act as a controller for ~25% of your total duty time)
- As a controller, you are responsible for the safe execution of each flight, which includes:
- Conducting all pre-shift / preflight planning and briefings to include weather and airspace information)
- Initiation, monitoring, diversion, and termination of a flight in compliance with all documented policies, procedures and OpSpecs, including the issuance of commands to a Zip when appropriate
- Managing Zip traffic departing from, and arriving at the Nest
- Coordinating with Visual Observers as required
- Based on the needs of your facility, you may receive additional training and certification to conduct loading, preflight inspection, launch, and recovery phases of flight
- Other duties as assigned by the Chief Pilot.
WHAT YOU'LL BRING
WHAT ELSE YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Must have an FAA Remote Pilot Certificate
- Private or commercial pilot certificate
- 2+ years experience in flight operations (manned or unmanned)
- Possess a current second-class medical
- A positive attitude, driven to solve problems in a dynamic environment
- A passion for servant leadership, supporting your team’s success from the ground up
- Must be able to travel 20 %- 30%, as necessary
- Must be eligible to work in the US
Zipline is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws or our own sensibilities.
- Must be able to relocate to Arkansas (city, TBD) and work some duty periods that include weekends and potentially holidays.
- Must be able to pass a background and pre-employment drug and alcohol test. Random drug and alcohol testing is ongoing after initial employment.
We value diversity at Zipline and welcome applications from those who are traditionally underrepresented in tech. If you like the sound of this position but are not sure if you are the perfect fit, please apply!
Job Ident #:
(Job and company information not to be copied, shared, scraped, or otherwise disseminated/distributed without explicit consent of JSfirm, LLC)