Supporting the Most Exciting and Meaningful Missions in the World
Unmanned Aircraft Lead Pilot
Amentum provides contract support for the FAA William J Hughes Technical Center and nationally implementing the Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Program at the FAA William J Hughes Technical Center and supporting national environmental cleanup programs. This involves geospatial data collection, mapping, GIS database management, Global Positioning System (GPS) and environmental/GIS database management services in support at the FAA William J. Hughes Technical Center and national programs located in Atlantic City, New Jersey.
The Lead unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) Pilot leads the UAS team working a team environment and performing UAS operations to collect and process UAS collected mapping data at FAA airports and facilities for mapping, inspection and analyses within the GIS Program at the FAA William J Hughes Technical Center. This position will use a variety of aerial platforms, image gathering hardware, and related software to produce high-resolution maps and data sets. The GIS Technician will work closely with the Lead UAS pilot and be capable of serving as Remote Pilot in Command and/or Visual Observer during data acquisition flights and UAS - GIS Program operations as needed.
Duties include collection, storage, quality assurance, and analysis of spatial data, spatial data creation, maintenance, and development and providing general GIS Program support in a team environment.
- Conduct UAS flight operations in support of FAA research efforts in a safe professional manner.
- Submit FAA airspace authorizations, requests for waivers, and other necessary documentation.
- Operate as the Visual Observer and/or Remote Pilot in Command (RPIC), responsible for flight planning, flight execution and risk management, handling, processing and review.
- Conduct pre-flight planning to include operational briefings, analyzing weather forecasts, Notice to Airmen (NOTAMs), and airspace requirements.
- Plan and implement operational risk management review for each mission. Validate mission specific UAS/sensor capabilities, functions, sensor integration, suitability.
- Conduct pre-flight planning, safety briefings, checklists, FAA airspace and airport tower coordination, and ensures overall mission-readiness.
- Ensure compliance with applicable FAA regulations and company standard operating procedures.
- Perform UAS pre-flight inspections, conduct mission assessment for operational requirements and assessment of project areas to include; tall structures, power poles, towers, other obstructions, to account for safety, various payload operations, camera settings, lighting conditions, and senor configurations such as color RGB (red, green, blue), multi-hyperspectral, thermal, LiDAR and/or other sensors.
- Perform post flight operations and procedures
- Implement Safety Policies and Procedures maintaining safe UAS operations Implement UAS inspections are maintenance programs.
- Perform and document minor maintenance/troubleshooting of UAS equipment, as required.
- Execute operational needs and mission requirements as required. Document and complete pre/post UAS mission reports.
- Perform equipment testing, troubleshooting, and maintenance.
- Document inventory of UAS spares/components and maintenance actions.
- Communicate and coordinate with internal and external entities for safe flight operations.
- Collect, handle and process UAS and related data, photogrammetry, ground surveys and design documents.
- Perform ground control survey mission support using RTK/PPK GPS survey equipment.
- Process and evaluate data accuracy and sufficiency, providing mission deliverables.
- Prepare and complete reports related to collected field data, post flight missions, and pilot and maintenance logbooks.
- Possess a current FAA Part 107 Remote Pilot Certificate.
- Possess FAA Second Class Medical Certificate.
- Minimum of 4 years of UAS experience collecting photogrammetry, mapping or related imagery or laser data.
- Must have in-depth experience with airport operations, aviation communications, and the National Airspace System (NAS).
- Must have knowledge and experience with planning, coordinating, and executing UAS operations on and in the vicinity of an airport and within controlled and uncontrolled airspace, including obtaining the necessary FAA waivers, airspace authorizations, permits, approvals, etc.
- Must have a minimum of 75 total flight hours operating various UAS platforms, including fixed wing and rotorcraft (100 hours desired).
- Valid drivers license required.
- This position requires travel as needed on and off property to transport drone equipment and conduct UAS missions.
- Very strong technical capacity; ability to learn and master multiple software packages, pieces of hardware and different workflows, Computers and Technology Experience.
Amentum is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our hiring practices provide equal opportunity for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender, national origin, age, United States military veteran’s status, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, family structure, medical condition including genetic characteristics or information, veteran status, or mental or physical disability so long as the essential functions of the job can be performed with or without reasonable accommodation, or any other protected category under federal, state, or local law.
EEO is the Law Poster
EEO is the Law Poster Supplement