NWS Facilities Maintenance Technician - Vehicle Mechanic - Apprentice
Raytheon Technologies •
The North Warning System (NWS) is a joint United States and Canadian radar system that includes 47 radar sites spanning the Arctic from Labrador to the Alaska border. The NWS provides the capability to detect airborne threats across North Americas polar region, providing a command and control capability to the Canadian Air Defence Sector (CADS) of the North American Aerospace Defence Command (NORAD).
Raytheon will provide Operations and Maintenance (O&M) of the NWS system including full care, custody, and control of the entire NWS and its components. This includes 47 radar sites; five logistics support sites (LSSs), a monitoring and control center, and a radar depot. Key activities include radar, equipment and facilities maintenance/repair; logistics support; and remote monitoring and control.
Raytheon Canada Limited (RCL) implements an Inuit Training and Development Program (ITDP) that benefits communities within the Comprehensive Land Claim Agreements (CLCA). The purpose of the program is to actively recruit, develop, and train Inuit Beneficiaries (IBs) for employment within the North Warning System (NWS) Program and foster employee-retention and skills development for Inuit Beneficiary employees at all levels.
Raytheon seeks a Facilities Maintenance Technician – Vehicle Mechanic – Apprentice (FMT-V) based out of Hall Beach, Nunavut to support the NWS system O&M Contract. The Apprentice is provided with a combination of on-the-job training and college training courses that lead to becoming qualified in the Facility Maintenance Technician field. Through hands-on and accelerated training, the Apprenticeship Program will enable individuals to work and develop the necessary skills to seek jobs not readily achievable prior to entering the program. This position is a temporary position with the possibility of extension and is designed to provide an individual with the necessary skills to be employed as a Facility Maintenance Technician. The FMT-V Apprentice will work alongside a licensed and experienced Journeyman to repair, overhaul, maintain and service diesel powered automobiles, heavy trucks, heavy construction equipment, graders, dump trucks, excavators and pickup trucks. This includes but is not limited to:
• Updating work orders on the NWS Work Management system for any activities competed.
• Maintaining small engines, pumps, other MSE (Mobile Support Equipment) and cleaning vehicles.
• Good communication skills both written and orally, strong interpersonal skills with an ambition to learn and grow knowledge and experience.
• Willing and able to attend training courses and maintain a strong desire to develop skills necessary to become a licensed Logistics Technician.
• Must be able to provide Inuit land claims and registration number(s).
Desired Knowledge / Skill and Experience
• Familiarity with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
• Must be comfortable working in and flying to remote Arctic locations via helicopter and/or smaller fixed wing aircraft.
• Hold a valid class ‘G’ driver’s license, or provincial/territorial equivalent
• Must possess serviceable safety boots that meet standards for workplace safety.
• Effective written and verbal skills (English).
• Must be able to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) including Fall Arrest Harness, as required
• Ability to work under physically demanding, often adverse weather conditions in remote Arctic locations
• Cultural awareness and sensitivity and an understanding of work in the Canadian Arctic.
• Ability to speak Inuktitut considered an asset.
• Individuals who have completed high school with a diploma or general equivalency.
Raytheon Canada Limited is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and welcomes a wide diversity of applicants. Raytheon is committed to providing long-term, sustainable and meaningful economic benefits for Inuit Beneficiaries and their communities through activities such as on-the-job training, mentorship and skills development at all levels of employment. If you are an Inuit Beneficiary or a Land Claim Beneficiary from the Nunatsiavut, Nunavut or Inuvialuit Settlement Region you are encouraged to submit your resume.
NWS promotes employment equity as part of the Legislated Employment Equity Program and encourages those who are: a woman, an Aboriginal person, a person with a disability or a member of a visible minority to apply. Individuals contacted for a job opportunity should advise the company of any accommodation measures needed in a timely manner.
Successful completion of security clearances are required by candidate prior to starting on the program. Candidate must complete a criminal reference check and pass a security clearance check to a level as required for the position through the Canadian Government.
Raytheon Technologies is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Job Ident #:
(Job and company information not to be copied, shared, scraped, or otherwise disseminated/distributed without explicit consent of JSfirm, LLC)