The Boeing Defense, Space & Security (BDS) team is seeking a Senior Payload Design Engineer to join our Satellite Systems Engineering team that enables satellite communication across the world. Our engineering team will support the design and integration efforts on commercial and government satellites. The selected candidate will be a part of a high-performing team who are excited to redefine satellite architecture and produce the future of communications satellites in the great city of El Segundo, CA.
The Satellite Systems team provides engineering support on a variety of In-Space Vehicles products. This position offers the opportunity to be hands-on with satellite design, manufacture, and testing. This position will be involved in all aspects of satellite design and manufacturing within a group that owns all space based products. As a Senior Payload Design Engineer, you will collaborate with leaders in space innovation and pave the way in creating the world’s best satellites.
- Develop, integrate, and document the satellite unit layout that meets all customer and internal design requirements
- Use 3-D Computer Aided Design tools (CreoParametric, among others) to provide product definition to other engineering groups, production operations, suppliers, and external customers throughout the product lifecycle
- Design, trade, and provide status updates to diverse teams including peers and senior leadership
- Develop and maintain the RF schematic for the payload system
- Develop and maintaining the bills of material (BOMs) for payload integration hardware
- Perform routing, detailing, and ensuring procurement of RF transmission lines for the satellite
- Develop new processes and/or tools to improve the quality or efficiency of our production efforts
- Review and ensure the quality of all products developed by the team
- Act as liaison (vehicle) engineer during satellite integration and test
This position requires the ability to obtain a US Security Clearance for which the US Government requires US Citizenship as a condition of employment. Final U.S. Top Secret Clearance Post-Start is required.
Basic Qualifications (Required Skills/Experience)
- Experience leading a design team as a Responsible Engineering Authority (REA)
- 1+ years of experience working with satellite products or space flight hardware
- 3+ years of experience with ProE/CREO or Windchill applications
- 3+ years of experience in Spacecraft general arrangement or payload mechanical design.
- 3+ years of experience in antenna/payload RF (radio frequency).
Preferred Qualifications (Desired Skills/Experience)
- Bachelors, Masters or Doctorate of Science degree from an accredited course of study, in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry.
- Currently have or have held an active U.S. Security Clearance in the past 24 months
- Engineering experience with manufacturing methods, fabrication or assembly processes
- Experience working with waveguide and coaxial cable design
Education/experience typically acquired through advanced technical education from an accredited course of study in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry (e.g. Bachelor) and typically 9 or more years related work experience or an equivalent combination of technical education and experience (e.g. PhD+4 years related work experience, Master+7 years related work experience). In the USA, ABET accreditation is the preferred, although not required, accreditation standard.
This position offers relocation based on candidate eligibility. Basic relocation is available for internal candidates based on candidate eligibility.
Drug Free Workplace
Boeing is a Drug Free Workplace where post offer applicants and employees are subject to testing for marijuana, cocaine, opioids, amphetamines, PCP, and alcohol when criteria is met as outlined in our policies.
This position is for 1st shift.