The Business Development Manager will work to improve Bighorn Airways market position and achieve financial growth. This person defines long-term organizational strategic goals, builds key customer relationships, identifies business opportunities, negotiate and close business deals, and maintains extensive knowledge of current market conditions.
The Business Development Manager will work with the Operations and Maintenance teams, to increase sales opportunities and thereby maximize revenue for Bighorn Airways. To achieve this, the Business Development Manager will need to find potential new customers, present to them, ultimately convert them into clients, and continue to grow business in the future.
The Business Development Manager will also help manage existing clients and ensure they stay satisfied and positive. The Business Development Manager will call on clients, often being required to make presentations on solutions and services that meet or predict our clients’ future needs.
Essential Job Functions for Business Development Manager
The primary role of the Business Development Manager is to prospect for new clients by networking, cold calling, advertising, or other means of generating interest from potential clients. They must then plan persuasive approaches and pitches that will convince potential clients to do business with the company.
The Business Development Manager must develop a rapport with new clients, set targets for sales, and provide support that will continually improve the company/client relationship. The Business Development Manager is also required to grow and retain existing accounts by presenting new solutions and services to clients.
This position may manage the activities of others responsible for developing business for the company. Strategic planning is a key part of this job, it is the Business Development Manager’s responsibility to develop the pipeline of new business coming into the company. This requires a thorough knowledge of the market, the solutions/services the company can provide, and of the company’s competitors.
The Business Development Manager must be willing to travel to industry trade shows, as well as other events to further new business for Bighorn Airways.
New Business Development
• Prospect for potential new clients and turn this into increased business.
• Cold call as appropriate. * Meet potential clients by growing, maintaining, and leveraging your network.
• Identify potential clients, and the decision makers within the client organization.
• Research and build relationships with new clients.
• Set up meetings between client decision makers and company’s practice leaders/Principals.
• Plan approaches and pitches. * Work with team to develop proposals that speaks to the client’s needs, concerns, and objectives.
• Participate in pricing the solution/service.
• Handle objections by clarifying, emphasizing agreements and working through differences to a positive conclusion. * Use a variety of styles to persuade or negotiate appropriately.
• Present an image that mirrors that of the client.
• Present new products and services to enhance existing company/client relationships.
• Work with colleagues to meet customer’s needs.
• Arrange and participate in internal and external client debriefs.
Business Development Planning
• Attend industry functions, such as association events and conferences, and provide feedback and information on market and creative trends.
• Present to and consult with management on business trends with a view to developing new services, products, and distribution channels.
• Identify opportunities for campaigns, services, and distribution channels that will lead to an increase in sales.
• Using knowledge of the market and competitors, identify and develop the company’s unique selling propositions and differentiators.
Management and Research
• Forecast sales targets and ensure they are met by the team.
• Track and record activity on accounts and help to close deals to meet these targets.
• Work with staff to ensure that prerequisites (like prequalification or getting on a vendor list) are fulfilled within a timely manner.
• Ensure all team members represent the company in the best light.
• Present business development training and mentoring to business developers and other internal staff.
• Research and develop a thorough understanding of the company’s people and capabilities.
Solicitation Proposals / Contract Management
• Monitor government and/or non-government websites for leads and solicitations that Bighorn Airways can bid on.
• Take Lead for developing proposals for contract bids.
• Prepare or assist with any reporting requirements for contracts awarded to Bighorn Airways.
Education / Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration
• Eight years served in the US Armed Forces.
• A minimum of six years as a Business Development Manager in the aviation industry.
• A minimum of three years’ experience preparing RFIs and RFPs for government contracts.
Other skills and Qualifications
Networking, Prospecting, Public Speaking, Research, Writing, Closing Skills, Motivation for Sales, Prospecting Skills, Sales Planning, Identification of Customer Needs and Challenges, Market Knowledge, Meeting Sales Goals, Professionalism, and Microsoft Office.