Interior Upholstery Technician
West Star Aviation •
This hourly, non-exempt full-time position requires a thorough understanding of aircraft interiors in addition to an advanced knowledge of upholstered items found in aircraft interiors. Modifications, sewing, repair, refurbishment and reinstallation of interior components are primary functions. Evaluate and adjust on modifications essential. Job duties will vary each day and are designated by the Upholstery Supervisor May be required to work independently.
- Perform major modifications to seats and related items as required.
- Possess a working familiarity with different seat styles typical to aircraft.
- Work independently on projects when required.
- Work independently when required.
- Perform complete upholstery refurbishment of aircraft seats from start to finish. Such duties include inspection , disassembly and assembly, prep work, foam work, patterning, sewing and installation of dress covers.
- Maintenance and repair of shop facility, equipment and tooling when required.
- Cleanliness of shop and surroundings.
- Assist with training to ensure job knowledge and performance of lesser-experienced employees.
- Diagnose seat problems in and out of the aircraft and perform necessary corrective actions.
- Possess a thorough understanding of FAA flammability requirements for all materials used.
- Complete all required paperwork per work order book.
- Any other job-related duties as assigned by supervisor or management.
Minimum qualifications :
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- valid drivers license approved for airline travel and/or a valid passport is ideal, but not required
- 3 - 5 years experience on aircraft upholstery.
- Knowledge of materials and foams used in aviation.
- Knowledge of repairs and techniques used on various seat styles.
- 1 - 2 years heavy modifications preferred.
- Self-motivated and able to maintain a rapid pace.
- Process work with minimal supervision.
- Written and verbal communication skills.
- Attend work every day as scheduled to include overtime and weekend assignments.
- Notify supervisor in advance of shift starting if unable to work.
- Must have reliable transportation to get to work each and every day.
- Perform all work in accordance with Federal Aviation Administration guidelines.
- Follow all company and safety rules during performance of duties.
- Maintain customer oriented work habits.
- Perform major modification work.
- Training of lesser-experienced employees.
- Other technicians in interior shop or other departments.
- Upholstery Team Leader, Install Team Lead assigned to that project, Interior Supervisor and Interior Manager.
- Company sales representatives.
- Customers or outside vendors.
- Lift and carry at least 50 lbs.
- Routine walking, bending and squatting or sitting.
- Routing or repetitive physical motion with arms and hands with emphasis on grasping, feeling and finger dexterity.
- Stand for long periods.
- Understanding and implementation of regulations and guidelines including but not limited to OSHA, haz mat, etc.
- Communicate with employees, customers and vendors in a professional manner.
- Work with others in a professional manner.
- Research various items and fill out a work order book properly.
- Plan and organize procedures and operations.
- Will work under supervision of assigned Team Leader and Interior Management.
- May be directed to supervise other technicians in some capacity.
- Work with no supervision when required.
- The majority of work will be accomplished in a heated hangar or shop area.
- Work in aircraft on ramp on occasion.,
- Varied positions in and around the aircraft.
- Personal hand tools supplied by the technician.
- Electrical power tools such as sanders, saws, power drills, etc.
- Computer, copy machine, fax machine, etc.
(Job and company information not to be copied, shared, scraped, or otherwise disseminated/distributed without explicit consent of JSfirm, LLC)