Troubleshoots malfunctions in aircraft structure, landing gear, flight surfaces and controls, anti-icing, hydraulic, engines, auxiliary power unit, and ventilation and heating systems.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Repair, replace, and rebuild aircraft structures, such as wings and fuselage, and functional components including rigging, surface controls, and plumbing and hydraulic units, using hand tools, power tools, machines, and equipment such as shears, sheet metal brake, welding equipment, rivet gun, and drills.
- Read and interpret manufacturers' and airline's maintenance manuals, service bulletins, technical data, engineering data, and other specifications to determine feasibility and method of repairing or replacing malfunctioning or damaged components.
- Perform 100-hour, progressive, isochronal, phase, periodic, and other hourly or calendar inspections, examines reciprocating engines for cracked cylinders and oil leaks, and listens to operating engine to detect and diagnose malfunctions, such as sticking or burnt valves, inspects jet engines and components for cracks, corrosion, foreign object damage, burned areas, distortions, security, warping, wear, and missing segments.
- Inspect jet engine turbine blades to detect cracks, distortion, corrosion, burn-out, security, or breaks, tests engine operation, using testing equipment, such as ignition analyzer, compression checker, distributor timer, ammeter, and jet calibration (Jetcal) tester, to locate source of malfunction.
- Perform duties as replacing or repairing worn or damaged components, such as carburetors, alternators, magnetos, fuel controls, fuel pumps, oil pumps, and engine mounted gearboxes, and compressor bleed valves using hand tools, gauges, and testing equipment; removing engine from aircraft, using hoist or forklift truck, disassembling and inspecting parts for wear, cracks, security, or other defects, and repairing or replacing defective engine parts and reassembles and installs engine in aircraft.
- Adjust, repair, or replace electrical wiring system and aircraft accessories, performs preflight, thru-flight, and post-flight maintenance inspections, performs miscellaneous duties to service aircraft, including flushing crankcase, cleaning screens and filters, greasing moving parts, and checking brakes.
- Supervise the jacking and towing of aircraft, enters in the maintenance records description of the work performed and verifies the work was performed satisfactorily, may service engines and airframe components at line station making repairs, short of overhaul, required to keep aircraft in safe operating condition, may specialize in work, repair and modification of structural, precision, and functional spare parts and assemblies, and may specialize in engine repair.
- Position requires a U.S. Department of State Moderate Risk Public Trust (MRPT).
- Perform other duties as assigned.